Senior School Curriculum
The Senior School牛津大学广泛的学术课程旨在帮助学生收集, analyze and synthesize data; state and support arguments; and work effectively with groups of people. Knowing that every person learns differently, Shady Side Academy致力于为每个学生提供一个独特的学习环境. 小班教学使教师认识到学生是独立的学习者，并帮助每个人以对个人有益和适合的方式发展.
From our rigorous, college-preparatory curriculum, each student gains the ability to think critically, creatively and individually. 鼓励学生在最具挑战性的水平上追求自己的兴趣. Advanced courses are offered in all subject areas, and many electives and independent studies are open as additional alternatives for pursuing individual interests. A number of global and off-campus programs 是否可以将学生的教育经历扩展到校园之外.
For complete curriculum information, including course descriptions and diploma requirements, download the Senior School Course Catalog (22-23 PDF).
- Athletics, Physical Education and Health
- Computer Science
- World Languages
- Independent Study
- Senior Projects
The Senior School Performing Arts Department prepares young artists to be informed and engaged members of their communities; to recognize and respect diversity of culture, identity and opinion; and to live and create sustainably. 它为所有学生提供了在一个支持性但又具有挑战性的社区环境中探索和发展个人才能的机会. The performing arts reinforce the tenets of the Academy, endorsing the balanced development of students analytical, artistic and physical abilities. Through production, rehearsal, performance, critical and analytical thinking, and historical and cultural context, all SSA students are welcome to create and learn in a supportive and intellectually rigorous community. A comprehensive foundational program encourages students to explore the creative process with emphasis on proper protocols, terminology, and safe practice.
Performing Arts – Music
- Concert Choir
- Chamber Choir
- Concert Band
- Symphonic Band
- Jazz Ensemble
- String Orchestra
- Electronic Sound Studio
- Music Theory
- Music Workshop
- Guitar and Piano
Performing Arts – Theatre
- Theatre Arts Foundation
- Fall Play
- Winter Musical
- Spring Original Works Theater Festival
Shady Side Academy offers a rich and varied arts program that celebrates an enduring commitment to all students. The Senior School Visual Arts Department prepares its students to be informed and engaged members of their communities; to recognize and respect diversity of culture, identity and opinion; and to live and create sustainably. The visual arts reinforce the tenets of the Academy Statement of Philosophy endorsing the balanced development of the student’s analytical, artistic and physical abilities. Through a rigorous, broad, sequential curriculum in the arts, all students have the opportunity to explore and develop their unique and individual talents. Through production, experimentation, exhibition, critical and analytical response, 学生可以发展对视觉表达的欣赏和理解. 他们将接触到艺术的历史和文化背景，并在一个知识和培养的环境中探索他们的创造力. 所有这些都在一个全面的基础课程中提供，鼓励学生体验艺术努力的过程和产品.
- Studio Art 2D Foundation
- Studio Art 3D Foundation
- Digital Photography
- Darkroom Lab Photography
New This Year: Hands-On Art History
In an effort to increase flexibility in student schedules, Ceramics PM, an after-school art course, is also offered.
AG体育APP在学生的教育经历中起着不可或缺的作用 Senior School. 学生们被要求参加体育项目. 通过参与AG体育APP而形成的积极性格特质与高中毕业后个体的更大成功有直接关系. It is the Athletics Department‘s goal to make the student‘s experience with the SSA athletic program educational and enjoyable. See the 2022-2023 Course Catalog to view Athletic and PE Options by Term.
Shady Side的体育项目分为三个不同的区域: athletics, physical education and health. Athletics and PE run from 3:50-5:35 p.m. every school day.
Athletic Team Participation
The primary goals at the junior varsity and freshman team levels are skill development, physical conditioning, knowledge of strategy, discipline, fun and game participation. Success in competition is encouraged but not at the expense of student participation or individual preparation for an upper-level team. At the highest level of competition, teams are selected according to ability, 具备必要技能和经验的学生也会被挑选出来.
在大学代表队中，主要目标之一是组建具有高度竞争性的队伍. 学生运动员应表现出高超的技术, discipline, 团队精神和体育精神，以及对自己和Shady Side学院的骄傲. The best combination of players will participate. 平等的游戏时间和/或玩每一款游戏并不能保证. 强调的是尊重自己、尊重他人和尊重游戏的价值. Positive encouragement is expected from all participants, 在胜利和失败中都表现出仁慈.
体育强调健康和终身传承, and is required of all Form V and VI students who are not involved in the athletic program. All physical education programs, except PE Option, meet after school and require the student to choose the one that best suit his/her interests. 体育项目包括健身、冰球、游泳、冒险运动和瑜伽.
健康课程将促进和提供一个开放的讨论的安全空间，并为AG体育最年轻的学生提供一个建立社区的机会, express themselves and any concerns they may have.
- Form III Health
- Form IV Health
高中计算机科学系致力于为学生提供计算机科学的基础准备，以促进学生在学术和道德领域的成长，并在他们的一生中为他们提供良好的服务. 除了为学生将来学习计算机科学做准备之外, our goals include promoting ethical collaborative thinking, 培养解决问题的技能，包括理解书面挑战, designing solutions for these challenges, building solutions, and testing and iteratively improving these solutions.
Extracurricular opportunities include robotics, computational linguistics and programming competitions. 学生们可以享受网络与最新科技的校园.
- Problem Solving: Karel & Elementary Graphics
Software Engineering Courses
- Game Design
- Artificial Intelligence
- Application Development for Mobile Devices
- Interactive Web Page Design (not offered 2020-2021)
Hardware Engineering Courses
- Computer Architecture
- 3D Modeling
- Advanced Placement Computer Science
- Discrete Structures
- Advanced Topics in Computer Science: Machine Learning
- Virtual Reality
The Senior School English Department fosters in students a love and respect for the English language. Through language fluency, students are better able to make sense of their world, communicate more effectively, and grow to appreciate the finest literature of their own cultures and the cultures of others, both past and present.
Courses in English center on a variety of activities that seek to expand not only students’ knowledge and understanding, but also their skills in interpreting and composing texts. 该项目鼓励对各种体裁的文本进行密切分析, active and thoughtful class discussions, creative expression and personal reflection. AG体育认为学习是一项以交流为核心的公共事业, so we expect students to develop their reading, writing, speaking and critical thinking capacities within a framework of constructive conversation and feedback arising from our study of common texts. 基本的技能和概念因此被教授作为这些文本的研究的一部分.
AG体育整体方法的核心是相信读写能力是一种递归行为. Students are urged to question, examine and reassess their ideas and values through the development of important habits such as annotating, journaling, drafting and pre-writing, revising, and conducting research. Through this comprehensive program, the English Department seeks to foster the lifelong enjoyment of learning for its own sake. The department directs its efforts toward the development of young men and women to become thoughtful, responsive members of a literate community.
Foundation Courses (Grades 9-10):
- Foundations of Literature and Writing I
- Foundations of Literature and Writing II
Upper-Form Courses (Grades 11-12):
- Lit. & Writing I
- Lit. & Writing II
- Art of Persuasion
- Theory & Process of Writing
- Poetry 1550-1800
- Individual in Med/Ren Soc
- Mythology & Lit.
- On the Road
- Through the Eyes of the Other
- Saints & Sinners
- Eastern European Lit.
- French Lit. 1850-Present
- Indian Lit.
- Lit. of Africa/Diaspora
- Lit. of Oppress/Resist
- Lit. of South America
- Mod. Japanese Lit.
- Nobel Laureates
- Russian Lit.
- American Poetry
- Black Women Writers
- The American Renaissance
- The New Journalism
- English Romanticism
- Gothic Literature
- Irish Literature
- August Wilson
- Austen & Dickens
- The Bloomsbury Group
- Disability and Deformity in British Lit
- The Bildungsroman
- Futures of the Past: Speculative Fiction
- Forgotten Societies
- Hero's Journey
- British Lit.: Imperialism
- Detective Fiction
- The Henriad
- Graphic Lit.
- Lit. of Harlem Renaissance
- Fiction Workshop
- Tales of Love & War
- Victorian Age
- Mod. & Contemp. Amer. Drama
- Mod. British Drama
- Modern Narratives
- Lit. & Sport
- Individual in America
- Voices from Amer. South
The Senior School History Department offers a curriculum guided by two complimentary educational aims: to introduce students to the breadth and depth of the human experience by a comparative study of past and contemporary societies and cultures; and to develop in students the skills of research, 分析性写作和批判性思维是历史研究的核心, broadly transferable to other disciplines, and central to a rich and fulfilling intellectual life. 学生们接受的训练是通过使用各种主要和次要的来源来探索过去，并挑战解释过去的事件，从而对复杂的问题得出原始的结论. Further, they are taught to think critically about the discipline of history and how historical arguments are shaped by the eras that produced them. AG体育的三个核心课程在内容和技能上相互建立, 而一系列选修课则为对历史有浓厚兴趣的学生提供了一个探索更深层次的学科的机会.
- Problems in World History
- Patterns of Western Identity
- United States History
- Pittsburgh at the Edge of the World
- On the Wings of Icarus: Revolution in the Roman World
- Pittsburgh: Steel, Blood and Money
- Americanos! Revolutions in Modern Latin America
- The Economics of Poverty and Discrimination
- Pittsburgh: From Soot to Rust and Beyond
- Revolution in Modern China
- Introduction to Microeconomics
- Introduction to Macroeconomics
- Introduction to Philosophy
- Introduction to Ethics
- Philosophy of Happiness and the Good Life
- Philosophy of Religion
The Senior School Mathematics Department promotes problem-solving grounded in creativity, logical thinking, collaboration algorithmic computation, and risk-taking. Through a variety of teaching methods and activities, we strive to illuminate the interdisciplinary threads that connect mathematics to other disciplines, 同时也强调了主题本身的美. AG体育强调学生参与课堂讨论的重要性, 数学话语是口头和书面的. AG体育所做的一切，都是为了促进人们对数学的终身欣赏.
In an attempt to better meet the needs of our students, 数学系根据学生表现出的能力来分组, as scheduling permits. 这种分组是根据以前数学课的表现而定的, teacher recommendation and performance on placement tests, where applicable. AG体育相信，按能力分组可以更好地满足学生的需求，教师可以通过适当的补习和强化来区分课程, 并能在课堂上进行更有成效、更高效的对话.
- Problem-Based Mathematics I
- Problem-Based Mathematics II
- Problem-Based Mathematics III
- Trigonometry and Function Analysis
- Trigonometry and Introductory Calculus
- CHS Statistics
- CHS Calculus
- AP Calculus AB
- AP Calculus BC
- Topics in Linear Algebra
- Discrete Structures
- Topics in Multi-Variable Calculus
- Topics in Differential Equations
- Problem Solving Seminar
- Set Theory
- Fractal Geometry and Chaos Theory
- Multivariable Calculus
Visit the Mathematics Department page to learn more.
高中科学部的使命是为学生提供技能和知识，使他们成为AG体育这个不断变化的世界的知情参与者. 学生通过以学生为中心的实验室调查和分析来发展他们的批判性和分析性思维能力，从而形成预测能力, testable models.
To become a well-rounded scientific thinker, students typically take Physics I, Chemistry and Biology I. 完成这一序列的学生(或注册生物I)被鼓励探索他们认为最有趣的高级科学课程.
- Physics I
- Physics I Quantitative
- Biology I
- Science Research Seminar
Advanced Courses and Electives:
- Physics II: Algebra
- Physics II: Calculus
- Principles of Engineering
- Advanced Biology
- Environmental Science
- Advanced Chemistry: Organic Chemistry
Advanced Inorganic Chemistry Electives
- Advanced Chemistry: Chemical Bonding
- Advanced Chemistry: Inorganic Chemistry
- Advanced Chemistry: Quantitative Analysis
- Advanced Chemistry: Chemical Equilibrium I
- Advanced Chemistry: Acid Base/Redox Chemistry
- Advanced Chemistry: Quantitative Analysis
The following courses will be in the Glimcher Tech & Design Hub. They will not meet departmental graduation requirements but will earn non-departmental credits. Glimcher courses will be Pass/Fail.
- Entrepreneurship for Tech & Design
- Community Connections Through Tech & Design
- Projects for Tech & Design
高中世界语言部的使命是培养具有文化意识和语言能力的全球公民, engage and excel in intercultural communications.
课程包括中文、法语、德语、拉丁语和西班牙语. 现代语言采用目的语教学，培养学生在五个方面的交际能力:听力, speaking, reading, writing and cultural knowledge. 拉丁语的学习强调阅读的沟通技巧, writing and listening while developing knowledge of cultural and historical contexts.
真实的文化和语言维度被添加到所有层次的语言课程中，以使学生沉浸在目标语言的母语环境中，从而说明和增强学生的学习体验. These sources include guest speakers, the Language Lab, film, CDs, 报纸和杂志以印刷版和网上订阅的形式提供, and literature written for native speakers. 此外，还安排到剧院和博物馆参观相关戏剧, exhibitions, poetry readings and films.
AG体育鼓励学生通过参加课外的语言和文化活动来分享他们对语言学习的热情, French, German, Latin or Spanish clubs.
本系的目标是使AG体育的学生具备有效参与21世纪全球经济所需的语言和文化敏感性技能. Classroom participation in the language within a cultural context is vital for development of the student‘s foundation in these skills; however, nothing can replace actual immersion in another culture to practice and perfect those skills and add immeasurably to personal growth. Thus, the World Languages Department urges participation in cross-cultural experiences and coordinates with the International Program 提供无数种亲身体验另一种文化的方式. Among the possibilities are three-week partner school exchanges in France, Spain, China and Germany. We also support academic year or semester abroad programs, as well as numerous summer abroad programs.
- Chinese 1, 2, 2A, 3, 3A, 4, 4A, 5, 5AP
- French 1, 2, 2A, 3, 3A, 4, 4A, 5AP
- German 1, 2, 3, 4A, 5AP
- Latin 1, 2, 3, 4A, 5A
- Spanish 1, 2, 2A, 3, 3A, 4, 4A, 5, 5AP
独立学习为学生创造了一个深入探索和研究学术兴趣的特殊领域的机会，这些领域超出了AG体育的课程设置. The student selects a faculty mentor who is willing to oversee the project on a regular basis. These projects must be taken for credit and carry with them the same responsibilities as regular curriculum offerings. 学生强烈的学习动机是一个项目能否被接受的主要标准.
近20%的三、四年级学生独立完成学习项目. Some examples of projects include:
- Analyzing Financial Models in Professional Sports
- Architectural History
- Criminology: The Science of a Serial Killer
- A Deeper Study into Teaching of Emergency Medical Services
- Effects of Feminism on American Women Post-1960
- Electricity, Magnetism and Electronics
- Evolutionary Marvels: Wonders of Nature
- French Conversations Through Film, Stories and Grammar
- Functions, Limits and Derivatives
- Gender Stereotypes in Society and Media
- Hands-On Art History
- The History of Women in World Religions
- League of Nations: Noble Failure?
- Literature and Psychology of Persons with Mental Illness
- Mobile Device Application Development
- The New York Poets: Discovering the City Through Poetry
- Nomenclature and Stereochemistry of Organic Molecules
- On the Brink: A Comprehensive Comparison of the Economic Crises of the United States and the European Union
- Organic Synthesis of Pharmaceutical Drugs
- Quantitative Analysis of Hyper Dimensions
- The Science of Gas Drilling and Fracking
- Writing A Cappella Arrangements
- Writing the Novel
高三项目旨在为学生提供一个机会，在高三最后三周的传统教室之外，追求严肃的学习体验. 高级项目涵盖了广泛的教育活动. The project, designed by the student, provides an opportunity to pursue special activities, and it may be completed on or away from the campus. Projects may involve the development of a new skill, the pursuit of an academic research project, mastery of a musical piece, creation of a work of art, or service to the community.
Some examples of Senior Projects include:
- Adventures in Publishing
- Amizade Program (Cochabamba Bolivia)
- Career Investigation in Medicine
- The Children’s Village of Israel Study
- Commercial Real Estate and Green Construction
- Community Service in South Africa
- Cultural Immersion in Japan
- The Cupcake Connection and Education
- Discovery through Surgical Medicine
- From Line Sketch to A-Line Skirt: A Study of the History and Process of Fashion Design
- A Grand Passion: Preparing for the 2014 Summer Show Season
- Modern Composition and Exploration of Music
- Networking and Computer System Management
- Nickers N' Neighs Volunteer Project
- No Outlet: Songs from the Basement
- Rachel Carson Legacy and Environmental Ethics